NSYSU Scholarship Regulations for International Students
Amended 19 June 2013
1. The objective of the scholarships is to expand the internationalization of the university by providing qualified international students with scholarships based on their academic merits.
(1) International students refer to those degree-seeking foreign students at undergraduate or graduate level, whose qualifications are stipulated in the .
(2) Students admitted through International Exchange Student Program or Dual Degree Program are not eligible to apply for the scholarship.
3. The funds of the scholarship include funding from the Ministry of Education, the NSYSU University Fund, Aim for the Top University Plan and other funds.
4. The NSYSU scholarships include the following two categories:
A monthly allowance of up to NTD 20,000 will be granted for Ph.D. students, NTD 15,000 for master students, and NTD 10,000 for undergraduate students.
This scholarship is valid for one academic year. Students enrolled in the fall semester will receive the scholarship from September to next August; students enrolled in the spring semester will receive the scholarship from March to next February. Application will be reviewed on a yearly basis.
Undergraduates can apply for a maximum of four years, masters a maximum of two years while doctorates a maximum of four years.
A monthly allowance of up to NTD30,000 for three years will be granted. However, the recipient's qualification will be assessed every year. The evaluation will be conducted in April for students enrolled in the fall semester and in October for students enrolled in the spring semester. For the 4th year, the recipient may apply for NSYSU Scholarship.
For the 2nd and 3rd years of the scholarship period, if the recipient passes the assessment, one-third of the NTD30,000 allowance (NTD10,000) shall be provided by his/her advisor or respective department. Otherwise, the scholarship will be terminated and the recipient will automatically be granted NSYSU Scholarship for the rest of the scholarship awarding period.
The amount and quota of the scholarship are subjected to minor change due to budget constraint and the number of applicants.
5. Application Qualifications:
· : Must have at least taken one course in the previous semester, possessed an yearly average of GPA 2.93 or above (75% in a percentage grading system) and kept no misconduct record. Students working on their thesis and not taking any courses must submit a thesis proposal and a recommendation letter from their advisor.
· Must be a NSYSU Top Ph.D. Scholarship recipient, and have at least taken one course in the previous semester, possessed a yearly average of GPA 3.38 or above (80% in a percentage grading system) and kept no misconduct record. A proof of approval from their advisor is required.
· Must have completed a minimum of 9 course credits in the previous academic semester, possessed a yearly average of GPA 2.44 or above (70% in a percentage grading system) and kept no misconduct record.
(3). Students holding a working ARC or possessing a full-time job on- or off-campus are not qualified to apply for the scholarships.
6. Application Period:
(1) New students: Scholarship application shall be submitted along with admission application.
(2) Current students: Students enrolled in the fall semester should apply in April while students enrolled in the Spring semester should apply in October to the Office of International Affairs. Time and regulations will be announced every year.
(1). New students: complete and submit the following forms & documents:
· Application form;
· Official transcript in English or Chinese for the full school period (sealed by original institution);
· Study plan or research plan;
· Curriculum vitae;
· Recommendation letter;
· Proof of excellence (publications or certificates of awards or achievements) and other supporting documents.
(2) Current students: complete and submit the following forms & documents:
· Application form;
· Official transcript in Chinese for the full school period;
· Recommendation letter;
· Proof of excellence (publications or certificates of awards or achievements) and other supporting documents;
· Hardcopy of post office account passbook.
(3) In addition to the above-mentioned documents, students applying for must also submit a proof of approval from their advisor.
8. Scholarship Review Committee includes the President, Senior Vice President, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Vice President for International Affairs and Deans of each college.
9. Applicants must attend the scholarship information session held by the Office of International Affairs prior to the start of the school semester to learn about their rights and responsibilities before being granted the scholarship.
10. Discontinuance of Scholarship:
(1) The scholarship will be discontinued in the following semester if the recipient does not meet the GPA requirement of the current semester.
The NSYSU Scholarship will be continued if students meet the requirements of GPA 2.44 or above (70% in a percentage grading system) for undergraduates and GPA 2.93 or above (75% in a percentage grading system) for postgraduates.
The NSYSU Top Ph.D. Scholarship will be continued if students meet the requirements of GPA 3.38 or above (80% in a percentage grading system).
This article does not apply to postgraduate students who do not take any courses and are conducting graduation thesis.
(2) Scholarship will be discontinued for the duration of absence if the recipients travel abroad for research or exchange.
(3) After registration, excluding winter and summer breaks, within the time frame of the scholarship, if a student is absent from the university for a month, his/her scholarship will be discontinued for that month, if absent for 2 consecutive months, the scholarship will be cancelled. However, should special circumstances occur, the student is exempt from the discontinuance provided the student gets approval from the department head.
(4) If the recipients withdraw or postpone their enrollment, their scholarship will be cancelled. Upon their re-enrollment, they must re-apply.
(5) The scholarship will be cancelled if the recipients hold a working ARC or possess a full-time job on- or off-campus.
(6) If the recipients violate NSYSU’s rules and regulations and receive admonitions or demerits, the scholarship will be cancelled starting the next month from the punishment taking effect.
11. Students are not allowed to receive more than one scholarship from NSYSU or Taiwanese government. If such a case shall arise, the scholarship from NSYSU will be revoked and the scholarship received shall be returned.
12. Matters not mentioned in this regulation will be subjected to other relative regulations.
13. This scholarship regulation is approved by the Executive Council and enforced with the President’s approval. Any amendments shall be processed accordingly.